lunes, 11 de agosto de 2014

The Dresden files



Due to the lack of new weekly adventures and spare time for job reasons lately, I´ve had a hard time to post here.
Nevertheless, I could find a little gap to write this post earlier today, and want to share with you the continuation of my European tour saga, featuring Dresden and Karlovy Vary in this ocassion.


On the third day of our holiday, we were driven to Germany early in the morning.
As you might know, Dresden is tragically famous as the II WW scenario of a massive raid, killing more than 25.000 people in one night and destroying the entire city together with its historical heritage.
After war, the government eventually decided to rebuild the city as it used to look, so they sent some architects and engineers to Russia, in order to observe and study the original eighteenth century original plans, so they could use them to reproduce as many architectural details as possible.


I can tell you they totaly succeded: the level of preciosity is breathtaking, and this makes Dresden one of the most beautiful cities in the whole country. It was kind of a shock to me when I was explained most of the buildings are not period works, but imitative reshuffle. 
You probably would not guess, unless you are told.


Later that day, we moved to Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic.
Karlovy is a small town, reasonably well-known for two different reasons: its healthy termal waters, an the huge production of Bohemian cristal.
For three hundred years, the place was a popular pilgrimate center fot rich people looking for a Summer retreat. No need to remark the city hall keeps the amazing watering places running. A walk through the streets easily transports you back in time (and you are already familiar about my love for time trips).


I think I had both, the best and the worst times ever at the same time.
The best as I enjoyed the time traveller experience, and the worst as I craved to buy every single Bohemian glass teaware I glanced at, which was totally out of the question because of the high prices (although I insisted becoming a very childish and moaning parody of myself, scratching the shopwindows while facing an every time-a bit-less-patient boyfriend asking me to stop with all the crying lunacy...)  It is a very bad thing to posess an aristocratic spirit when you have to deal with a tight budget, isn´t it? But well, I am quite used to it, so I try to mantain all the ' I am not a Russian countess ' dramma in the lowest stage if possible (as if I could, The Gentle One sharply observes).


 So tell me darlings, when was the last time you had to resign not to get something you truly liked?





6 comentarios:

  1. Oh it's too often I have cravings I can't afford. I have to save my money for future drawbacks. The city is amazing, what a wonderful work they did. I especially love that arched walk.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Well, a good saving account s actually a wonderful idea. It always gives you the possibility of spending on this kind of extravaganzza. I agree they made a wonderful job with Dresden. It was simply shocking to me when I learnt it was not the original thing.

      Eliminar
  2. Hello my dear, i enjoyed all your travel posts so far with top favourite your previous. All that magnificent architecture. Just gorgeous!! I'm glad you had a lovely time in general.
    Now now, Bohemian crystal.. i can imagine your struggle :/ I have this thing about old mostly pricey book editions. When we will become rich ladies - haha yes keep on dreaming - we will never have to deal with those kind of trivial things any more :D

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Magda! Glad to hear you did enjoy my travelling posts, it is always nice to see you guys enjoy :)
      And yes, we totally need to go millionaires. That would make things easier...

      Eliminar
  3. Oh, I feel sorry for you! I had a recent similar experience! I was visiting my friend in the city when I saw the most beautiful Vintage chair with carved wooden swan arms and only $30, easily affordable and so cheap for such a piece! I mooned over it but it would have been heavy and I had to get two trains and possibly a bus to get home, how could I haul it around that much, would it even fit through the train doors? I had to leave it behind! I was so sad!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Oh, no. I can´t imagine leaving something truly beautiful AND unexpensibe behind... That sounds like a nightmare.

      Eliminar