lunes, 23 de diciembre de 2013

Christmas concert at the Romanian Atheneum



As a child I received a very strict musical education, nearly Victorian.
I used to study sol-fa, piano and voice practice because well, one of my uncles is a musician and he thought I was sensitive and could easily learn. After some years of non-stopping practice, I decided music was not my vocational path, but I always kept a tender love towards it deep in my heart.


So after some short considerations this week, I persuaded The Gentle One about the genuine necessity of attending a Christmas concert: 

"As a matter of fact" I pedantically said, "one can´t live on a European capital and skip that tradition. That would be against civilization".

That was enough to make him see my point, partially because he also loves classic music and partially because (ahem) he would do everything to stop me when I start playing and talking like a Jane Auster character.


At this point I should mention that Bucharest was not accidentally called Little Paris.
As I previously said, all its beautiful nineteenth century architecture supports this idea and one of the most representative artistic icons is The Romanian Atheneum, which is the headquarters of the Bucharest Philharmonic Orchestra and of course, HAD to be the background for my first Romanian Christmas concert.

So we headed the impressive building really early in the morning (that explains both, my sleepy face, specially considering I went to bed at four o´clock last night, AND my milkmaid braids. I would love to say I was wearing them just because I find them stylish, but in all honesty, they are kind of my emergency protocol when I am in a hurry and/or it´s really wet or windy outdoors and I want to avoid my hair eating my face, something that occurs often.) 
Ok, I am digressing again. 


Anyway, we arrived early enough to take a couple of pictures.
As you may have noticed they are not exactly good but pretty blurry, I beg you to excuse me this time, unfortunately daylight was playing hide and seek with us the whole morning and the artificial light was not properly on, so it was totally impossible to make it any better.
However, I am pretty sure you can see the happiness on my face coming not just from the music itself, but also from the vague sensation of feeling like a Romanian countess sat on my velveteen chair inside my private box for a few hours.

Besides, we could enjoy a lovely program integrated by Tchaikovsky (love him!), Mozart (hate him!), Andrei, Richards, Bottesini and many others. We could even listen to some Christmas songs performed by the choir. 
Summing up, it was a memorable day.

So tell me darlings, do you have any personal holiday traditions?

14 comentarios:

  1. Once again, beautiful! You sure have many options in Bucharest to see and admire! :O Architecture is dreamy! Like taking a small trip back in time! Maybe you were a countess in your past life and you came back in the same place and seat as you were now!!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I am pretty sure anyone sitting on the theatre that morning would have felt just the same way :)
      Pre-Comunist Romanian arquitecture is simply emotive.

      Eliminar
  2. Ohhhhh, what a beautiful concert hall! I can imagine listening to an orchestra in such an opulent environment must have felt like a dream. My holiday tradition is Nochebuena with my family, eating roast pork and celebrating on the Eve. It is certainly a loud gathering with the Cuban relatives, but it is my favorite even though we don't have the whole lechón anymore.

    Merry Christmas & have a wonderful new year!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I also celebrate Nochebuena myself! I supose it is more like a tradition in the Catholic comunities rather than at the Protestant countries. In my case Christmas Day is for resting and devouring the Christmas Eve leftovers :p

      Oh, and Merry Christmas to you too!

      Eliminar
  3. That building is so impressive and beautiful. I had actually no idea that Bukharest was such a beautiful town.
    You look absolutely gorgeous in your milkmaid braids :) Happy Christmas dear!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Bucharest is kind of bipolar architecturally speaking: it has all these lovely golden age buildings (most of them forgotten and covered on ivy and dust) and then a good quantity of awful grey pieces from the Comunist period. I hadn't seen anything like this before, even when I visited Berlin. It's completely sad to think about how magnificent the city might have looked when it was all like Paris. Then the Comunist revolution came and most of the beauty was destroyed.

      Merry Christmas dear. Take care :)

      Eliminar
  4. You do look like a Romanian countess, Violette! I wish you and The Gentle One a very happy holiday this year in lovely Romania! :o)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Oh, that's a huge flattering! We're having the most delightful holiday here :-) I wish you a happy holiday too. Have a great time with your family !

      Eliminar
  5. Hı :) I follow your blog and waiting for you to follow mine :)
    merry christmast :)
    pisimel.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Many thanks for following. You´re very welcome to my place :)
      Merry Christmas.

      Eliminar
  6. I was trying to post a comment and it disappeared so I may repeat myself, but I want to wish you all the best for 2014 and Im glad you are enjoying your time in Romania, many hugs to you, you look very beautiful, in a beautiful place!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Aw! Many thanks Vivian. I also wish you a very happy New Year full of hopes, dreams and projects. I hope 2014 will be a great time for you and your beloved people.

      Lots of love!

      Eliminar
  7. Your dress is so beautiful!!!!I loved the photos, seems to be an amazing place :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you very much. Red wine velvet dresses are the fastest road to elegance, in my humble opinion.
      And the Ateneum looked even more impressive in real life ♥

      Eliminar